The article is based on the book "Social psychology" by David Myers.
Among the motives of volunteers caring for AIDS patients, six main motivations were identified:
- Moral reasons: the desire to act in accordance with universal values and indifference to others.
- Cognitive reasons: a desire to get to know people better or acquire skills.
- Social reasons: become a member of the group and earn approval.
- Career considerations: gained experience and contacts are useful for further promotion.
- Self-defense: the desire to get rid of guilt or escape from personal problems.
- Increase self-esteem: strengthening self-esteem and self-confidence.